The Emperor's New Clothes! - Demystifying aligner science on the aesthetic orthodontic appliance terrain!
More than meets the EYE!
Aligner Evidence through the Clinician's Lens
Aligners play a significant role in current clinical protocols and use is increasing in contemporary practice. It’s estimated 30% of orthodontic patients will be treated by aligners next year!
Scholarly evidence based on prospective clinical trials is scarce and confusing to clinicians making decisions in practice.
Published case reports and manufacturer's publications often contain claims to contradict the data of independent trials.
This lecture critically evaluates aligner science based on
- E- evidence as it exists today!
- Y- yearning for clinical applicability! - discuss the missing links
- E- enlist / enumerate challenges and proposed solutions in planning aligner research
The Audience will be able to
- understand the nuances of contemporary aligner scholarly literature and its applicability to clinical practice
- differentiate aligner claims that are promotional strategies versus ones that have been tested on evidence
- understand the missing links in aligner research that can be addressed in future trials
- understand the role of adjuncts in successful aligner therapy
- optimize technology in aligner therapeutics
Leadership Positions & Honours:
- President World Federation of Orthodontists 2020-25.
- Chair, WFO Board Certifications Committee & WFO Promotions Committee (2015-20)
- President, Asian Pacific Orthodontic Society (2014-16)
- President, Indian Orthodontic Society (2014-15)
- Editor in Chief, APOS Trends in Orthodontics (2011-2020)
- Advisory Board Member, World Implant Orthodontic Association (2014-2020)
- Vice President, Indian Orthodontic Society (2012-13)
- Joint Editor, Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society (2006-10)
- Assistant Dean (Academics), European University Dental College, DHCC, Dubai, UAE
- (2018-till date)
- Professor, European University Dental College, DHCC, Dubai, UAE (2016-till date)
- Professor, YMT Dental College & Hospital, Navi Mumbai, India (2012-2016)
- Associate Professor, YMT Dental College & Hospital, Navi Mumbai, India (2011-12)
- Associate Professor, Rishiraj Dental College & Hospital, Bhopal, India (2007-12)
- Assistant Professor, Rishiraj Dental College & Hospital, Bhopal, India (2005-07)
- Assistant Professor, PDY Patil Dental College & Hospital, Navi Mumbai, India (2002-03)
Professor Nikhilesh R Vaid is the President of the World Federation of Orthodontists. He is also a member of the Edward H Angle Society of Orthodontists- North Atlantic Component. He is an Adjunct Professor at Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Medical & Technical University, Chennai, India. He is a former Professor and Vice-Dean of the European University College in Dubai, UAE and has a Private Practice in Dubai and Mumbai, India. He has widely published and edited journals including the "Seminars in Orthodontics" on five occasions and was the Editor in Chief of “APOS Trends in Orthodontics" from 2010-20. He’s currently Editor Emeritus of the same.
He's published more than 150 peer reviewed papers and text-book chapters and has lectured in more than 50 countries around the world.
The important forums at which he has lectured include the AAO Annual Sessions, the International Orthodontic Congresses and many more. Prof Vaid's current areas of interest are Evidence Based Protocols, Technology, Aligners and Rx effects and Management Protocols. He is passionate about Bollywood, Modern Indian Art, Cricket, Single Malt Whiskies and of course Orthodontics. His mission is to encourage global collaboration in the profession through leadership, advocacy and voluntary service towards professional societies.